How flowthings.io's Agile Intelligence Helps the Energy Industry Keep the Lights On
Is there a global marketplace on the planet more complex and more central to the development and the RE-development of the global economy than energy?
Probably not. For virtually every meaningful step in our economic, political and social development has a direct corollary in energy markets.
The debate rages and will continue:
- Is it a production challenge or a conservation challenge?
- What is the ‘right mix’ of hydrocarbon versus renewable sources?
- How can policy makers, industry leaders, and market makers develop policies that mitigate the risk of fluctuations in energy supply to shock world and regional markets?
The debates rages inside almost every segment of the global energy industry.
The most innovative energy enterprises do more working than debating.
Their work begins with knowledge; and that knowledge with data. Relevant, accurate, and reliable data.
In many ways, the energy industries have been leaders in IoT – early forms of IoT to be sure – and certainly not labeled 'IoT'.
Consider the ’digital oil fielda’ in the oil and gas industry. For centuries these operations have been ‘joint operations’ with multiple parties working in shared environments with a wide range of assets, inventories, goals, and objectives. It has always been hard work, hard trust, and hard results that have shaped the oil and gas industry. For decades, these have operations have been deploying ground-penetrating sonar, metrology, and telemetry solutions as inputs to their own ‘big data’ solutions as a way to grow production, elevate compliance, and meet financial and CSR (corporate social responsibility) goals.
Consider wind energy. Centuries, perhaps a millennium ago, the lowland countries deployed windmills to drive pumping stations that managed water tables. Farmers all over the world have harnessed wind to help drive simple machines on their farms. Today, some countries are approaching an unbelievable milestone in the post-industrial, post-information, great-synthesis age: Wind as their primary (>50%) source of electric power.
None of this happens without the operations communities in these markets – the subject matters experts seeking, installing, and accepting IoT-enabled and IoT-like solutions.
- Broad classes of sensor device intelligence (DEVINT) integrated with public open-source and private or proprietary atmospheric and meteorological models to optimize the energy harvest potential of renewable energy suppliers.
- Demand response power (DRP) solutions that map and harmonize customer demand or load with grid status and capacity to optimize power markets for BOTH buyers and sellers in the electric grid.
- Service and delivery route optimization solutions that enable energy management firms to reduce or eliminate customer downtime, at a lower total cost per unit of measure, in business and residential markets.
IoT opportunities exist and are being proven in every source, supplier, and customer segment of the global energy market.
When the solutions deployed by one entity are integrated by another – upstream, downstream, or peer group – the potential for exponential improvement in performance emerge.
We know this and flowthings.io enables these digital synergies to happen securely and at scale for every stakeholder in the energy value cycle. flowthings.io’s solutions and services are rooted in the classified intelligence and hyper-drive global media markets where the actors, their intelligence requirements, operational opportunities, and data sources are constantly evolving.
In a Smart Energy market where nothing is static, or guaranteed, flowthings.io gets you as close as you can get.